African Cocktail with women only


My first ever Women's only trip - and I know one thing for sure - best things come, unplanned for. Again an experience which did not figure in the wish list for 30 odd years of life, happened, and wow- my life will never be the same again.
Went to South Africa and Zambia with 24 other fellow women from different walks of life. The place itself deserves an exclusive post, but for the time being..let me focus on the smaller nuances.
It all started amidst a life that was moving towards boredom very fast and was asking too many uncomfortable questions. Just then, I fumbled upon an FB page and somehow, that page stayed with me for a long time. I thought about it for good 2 months before finally paying for it. As they say, things fell in place and I was destined to be a part of this experience.
I was scared - this was my first experience with the unknown after 7 years. It almost felt like the first day at B-school or the first day when my school became co-ed. Seeing all of them at the airport for the first time, did make my heart sink. I had a feeling that I have made the biggest blunder of my life. Most of them were in the age group of 40-50 and I was the youngest of them. But then, there was one thing I was very determined about - I wouldn't form opinions about people. And I did'nt almost till the end of my trip. Never knew that this was the one decision which will help me learn so much.
These were women who had traveled across extensively and had seen life from close quarters. Well most of them were from well to do backgrounds but all of them have struggled in some form or the other. They have given a part of their lives to their career, husband, family, kids and have come of age. Finally, free from those responsibilities they are free to explore the world. More importantly, they have accepted the change - very few of us can do that and still fewer at that age.
There was an undercurrent of loneliness when most of them spoke about kids settled away from home. I could imagine how difficult it must be to let go off the ones you have held so close. But then thats the reality of life. It shows you many colors, weathers, friends and relations..but then the road still has to be traveled alone.
For the few who didn't belong to the "family crowd" and were happy singletons, are and will be my biggest source of inspiration. In a country where you are either "happily married" or "Unfortunately single"..they are the "Content Singles". They are not commitment phobics. In fact they are more committed to what they believe in, than most of the married ones are to their husbands. Its just that they have chosen to not get married for the heck of it.
I went with one life, which I thought was a waste and was going to end soon in dismal fashion. I came back with 24 lives, which are hopeful, passionate, emotional, strong, determined and world wise and my own little life is just so enriched from them and has begun to dream again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A trip to the heights!

Can I?